News Articles Directory Video/Pictures Events Reports
 RSS feed
RUAVIATION.COM   →  Today: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 10:26    
     Follow us on: Follow ruaviation on Twitter
    Homepage » News» 8 november 2013     

    Sakhalin Region and Aeroflot signed an agreement for establishing United Far Eastern Airline "Aurora"
    Russian Aviaton » Friday November 8, 2013 12:57 MSK

    Sakhalin Region and Aeroflot signed an agreement for establishing United Far Eastern Airline "Aurora" in Moscow in the presence of Russian prime-minister, Dmitry Medvedev, on November 6th 2013. Konstantin Sukhorebrik was appointed CEO of Aurora Airlines.

    The document was signed by the governor of Sakhalin Region, Alexander Khoroshavin, and CEO of Aeroflot – Russian Airlines, Vitaly Savelyev.

    United Far Eastern Airline "Aurora" was established in accordance with the instruction of the Chairman of the Government of Russian Federation, Dmitry Medvedev (№DM-P9-3804 signed on July 3rd 2012), on the basis of SAT Airlines and Vladivostok Avia (both are part of Aeroflot Group since 2011).

    United Far Eastern Airline "Aurora" is of great importance for the Far East Region and it changes the configuration of Russia’s air transport industry dramatically.

    The new airline must improve the region accessibility and increase the mobility of its population. The total number of flights will increase from 172 to 534 ones and the number of destinations will increase from 30 to 128 ones during period from 2013 to 2018. The passenger traffic should reach 2.4 million passengers.

    Aurora will connect the following cities: Yakutsk, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsk, Khabarovsk, Vladivostok, Blagoveshensk and Magadan.

    The carrier will take delivery of 4 Airbus A319 jets in 2013, two more A319/320s – in the second quarter of 2014. Thus 6 Airbus A319/320 jets (average age is 6 years) will join Aurora’s fleet of Boeing 737 jets. The fleet of regional aircraft will be expanded by means of purchasing Bombardier Q300/400 and DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft. The carrier’s fleet should comprise 40 aircraft by 2018.

    Aurora Airlines is owned by Far Eastern Federal District and Aeroflot: Aeroflot owns 51% of the airline’s shares and the rest 49% will be transferred to the government of Sakhalin Region.

    «The idea of establishing a consolidated Far Eastern carrier has been finally put into practice, - CEO of Aeroflot, Vitaly Savelyev, said. – Aurora Airlines will help unlock the potential of Far East, increase the mobility of its population and increase the number of aviation industry employees. The new carrier will be an important part of Aeroflot Group and will dramatically strengthen its synergy. We look forward to cooperating with the federal and regional authorities in the network of this project, which is of great importance for Far East and the whole Russian Federation». 

    Savelyev also noted that the new carrier will start performing flights under Air Operator Certificate of SAT Airlines, but in future Aurora Airlines will obtain its own certificate.

    ← previous | next →
    See also: